Major Ed Cook, Kenton County School District instructor at the Success Academy, is on active duty in Iraq. Major Cook relayed real world experience of deployment to cadets at the Success Academy via skype on August 19. The Success Academy has four graduates currently serving in Iraq: Joe Kunzelman ('09); Jake Ernst ('10), Austin Heller ('10), and Travis Pope ('10).
The Success Academy is a Kenton County School District program for the student interested in learning more about the military. The program is a partnership between the Kentucky National Guard 1204 Aviation Support Battalion the Kenton County School District.
Fast Facts about the Success Academy:
- We are a military academy offered as a public high school option for students in the Kenton County School District (Dixie, Scott, and Simon Kenton)
- We opened in the 2007-2008 school year
- Our enrollment is increasing every year
- We accept students through an application process only, meaning our cadets want to be here and no students are placed here
- Our cadets complete their high school requirements through a combination of direct instruction and on-line learning
- Our cadets can earn Honors and Advanced Placement credits
- Our cadets can earn standard and advanced diplomas from their respective high schools
- We require cadets to complete at least 15 hours of community service each year
- Our cadets learn about all branches of the military
- Our cadets are under no obligation to join the military after high school; we prepare them for college, the military, or the work force
- We value Patriotism, Leadership, Integrity, Honor, Service, Courage, and Commitment
- We are the Wolfpack – derived from The Law of the Jungle by Rudyard Kipling
Now this is the Law of the Jungle,
as old and as true as the sky.
The Wolf that shall keep it may prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk,
the Law runneth forward and back.
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or comments.