Please fill out this form ONLY if you would like your child to repeat the grade he/she is currently enrolled.
Senate Bill 128, recently signed as a law, gives Kentucky school districts the option to allow students to repeat a year due to the disruptions caused by COVID-19. A student in grade Kindergarten through grade 12 during the 2020-21 school year shall submit the request to the district in which the student is enrolled by May 1, 2021, and the student shall only use the supplemental school year at the school at which the student was enrolled on that date. A local board of education shall not approve or reject requests on an individual basis, but shall determine by June 1, 2021, whether the district shall or shall not accept all requests. Due to the language in the law, our district office and Board of Education will determine if we have adequate space in our facilities as well as other factors when reviewing all requests.
Additional important information to consider before selecting a supplemental year for your child:
1. The supplemental school year program was established for students to retake or supplement courses or grades the student has already taken. Students may not retake or supplement courses from any school year prior to 2020-21.
2. The supplemental year program will allow for an additional year for all students.
3. Students who request a supplemental school year will be assessed in the state required assessments of that grade level.
4. Once a high school diploma is issued, the student’s final calculated GPA will not be altered or changed as a result of a 5th year program. The supplemental coursework and grades will be included in the student’s transcript for informational purposes.
5. A retaken high school course shall not count as an additional credit towards graduation unless the student failed the original course.
6. It should be noted that students who graduate from high school during the 2020-21 school year are no longer considered high school students for scholarship purposes and, therefore, are not eligible for Dual Credit or Work Ready Dual Credit scholarships during the 2021-22 year. High school graduates who desire to use their KEES awards for postsecondary expenses must be enrolled (“Dual Enrollment”) at the postsecondary level as regular postsecondary students who are subject to full tuition rates. KEES cannot be used to pay for dual credit.
7. All rules or regulations governing athletic eligibility, such as rules regarding transfers and age limitations, are not waived under this law.
8. This decision is binding for a full school year.
Please complete the following survey only if you are making a request for your child to repeat the currently enrolled grade during the 2021-22 school year. (By completing the survey you acknowledge that you understand the information in this document)
For additional questions, please contact your child's school. This survey closes on May 1, 2021.