Preschool is an exciting time for a parent and a child. There are a lot of emotions around this new adventure for your child! Chances are your child is experiencing some of those same emotions.
In the weeks before school starts, help your child prepare for the first big day!
- Pretend Play – Practice routines like pulling on his/her backpack, zipping backpack, getting dressed and walking to the bus stop
- Talk About School – making friends, singing songs, reading stories.Reassure your child they will be safe and cared for and you will see them when they return home.
- Create a Good Bye Routine – Kiss your child’s hand for them to keep with them all day, sing a special good bye song, give your child a high five as they get on the bus.
- Start a Bedtime Routine – read books as part of the routine to settle your child in for the night.
- Prepare your Child for Riding the Bus – discuss staying in their seat, talking with their friends, listening to the bus driver, walking to the stop and into their classroom.