Goals of the KCSD ELD Program:
- Support schools in engaging every English Learner in high-quality instruction in order to ensure access to grade-level content, progress toward English proficiency, and transition-readiness.
- Provide effective, evidence-based English Language Development programming delivered by highly-qualified English Language Development staff that moves students toward English proficiency.
- Facilitate connections between schools and English Learner families.
- Afford parents/guardians the opportunity to make decisions regarding their child’s participation in the English Language Development program.
- Provide appropriate and regular assessment in order to properly place students, measure progress, adjust instructional plans and determine when students are proficient to be reclassified to monitoring status.
- Provide professional learning opportunities to build the knowledge, strategies, and skills of all teachers to meet the academic and linguistic needs of English Learners in all subject areas.